Saturday, June 1, 2019

Let's Get Acquainted


Get a cup of coffee or pour your tea.  Let's get acquainted; together, let's diminish the unknowns between fears of being a caregiver and eventual acceptance.

Will you be ready or will you be overwhelmed?  Will you be prepared or will you struggle in your role? Before you have no choice, before it is your turn, be encouraged to understand the world of caregiving, to get a glimpse of the world of Alzheimer's.

As I have moved along the path we have travelled on our journey, I have become increasingly passionate about encouraging new caregivers to find lifelines and support. I was slow to find  support and as a result, I truly felt alone. 

My wish is that these words will act, in a small way, as friendship, especially for those just beginning their journey. With this blog, I offer a connection for asking questions. Email me in the side form with questions. I don't have all the answers, but together, there's a chance we can begin to discover sources of help.

My vision is that new caregivers might be able to tackle their fears of the unknowns just by knowing there are other caregivers who want to encourage and assist. And eventually, they will accept that "caregiving is a gift we give to one another while on this planet." (1)


In the wake of finding an outreached hand, it will be easier to be emboldened to find support, backing, assistance, relief, comfort, respite, and friendship to help ease the endless stress. And sleep. Caregivers must have sleep. 


Foremost, my wish is for caregivers to discover they don't need to be alone.


Not every caregiver needs a nudge, or a helping hand, but for those who do, perhaps something here will inspire them, reduce their fears, give them confidence, and spur them onward. 


In the beginning I felt very much forgotten, sometimes terrified, and often anxious, about our future. Although I am no longer depressed, some days I do feel disheartened and still often exhausted. 

But today, I recognize it is necessary to keep asking for help.

And at the same time, I feel it is time for me to reach out, to encourage others, especially those caregivers who are just starting their journey. I hope they will become strong, able to discover support they'll need for their bumpy road ahead. 

Caregivers: Take the step. Ask questions of everyone you meet. Find help as you begin your journey so it will uniquely fit your needs. Your life will be so much happier and healthier when you feel you have support. 

If you are interested in caregiving or caregivers, I'd be honored if you would come back to visit with my guests and me as we encourage caregivers through this blog. 

Enter your email address in the email submission link on the right side of this page and click SEND. You will then get an email notice through the MailChimp email service when new posts are published.

Thank you, Judith Allen Shone 

PS: The Accepting the Gift of Caregiving blog title comes from the series name for my two books Is There Any Ice Cream? and Did You Hide the Cookies? Both books reveal my caregiving journey with My Love. 

With the subtitle, Surviving the Challenges of Caregiving for a Loved One with Alzheimer's, Anxiety and COPD, the books reflect the experiences of My Love and me over seven years and will be published soon in 2019. 

As part of the series of books, there is the Accepting the Gift of Caregiving Support Group program for caregivers, associated with the above books. More is discussed on the book website/Discover Support. Sample Support Group Questions for Discovery as offered to readers of the book. You might just be the support that many silent caregivers have been looking for.


To learn more, see author website. I hope you will read about them and then read them...in a book club or with your friends or share among caregivers.  Journaling was what started my transformation to acceptance. Thank you.


(1) Quote from "Did You Hide the Cookies" by Judith Allen Shone.



Do something each day that makes your heart sing. ~jas

No comments:

Post a Comment

LEAVE COMMENTS related to caregiving to share with others. So many caregivers...so many stories! Thank you jas